There are constellations in me.

I fell into a vat of radioactive space dust and have been this way ever since. My power is that I appear completely powerless to you. The truth, however, is that I can see the crumbly seams of the stars, I can hear the rush of electrons in every one of your atoms (it's quite loud), I can stir things up inside your soul and you won't even realize it until one day you wake up and wonder what happened to the boy or girl that you once were. I can blow kisses at the back of your neck.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hers Buzzing

I used to watch her rattling off her thoughts at a pace usually reserved for the enraged, or in-denial. I never listened. Just watched. She would get home from work and immediately begin, even before having unwrapped her scarf from her neck. The volume of her voice would rise and fall as she moved through our tiny apartment, setting her things carefully down in their proper places: Shoes on the welcome mat inside the closet, hat on the microwave with the other hats, jacket on the corner of the futon, her bag on the bedroom doorknob.
I would park myself down on my favorite patch of hardwood in front of the futon and watch. Watch and nod when appropriate. My favorite was when she washed dishes and her voice reverberated in the awkward space between the sink and the cabinets, and she would stop to assure herself that she had my attention, "Don't you think?," or "Isn't that strange?" I would respond, "Absolutely," in my voice, tinny against hers buzzing.
There was no greater joy than observing her in her frantic and furious way, and looking forward to what she would feel like later that night. In our bedroom, her head against my chest. Her rambling speech quieted, her nervous energy slowed to a dull throb, lost in the language of exhaustion.

No comments:

Sincere as well-intentioned lies.

That is all.